MENTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION
Minimum of nine-month commitment with one to four hours of contact per week.
Areas of Involvement:
Commitment to developing supportive relationship with one or more program participants (youth).
- Sincere desire to be personally involved with a young person to help him or her achieve goals;
- Ability to communicate with youth openly and in a nonjudgmental fashion;
- Strong listening skills;
- Ability to establish a relationship based on equal responsibility and respect;
- Interest in needs and concerns of persons with internal and external barriers to success;
- Practical problem-solving skills and ability to suggest options and alternatives;
- Sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds.
- Make a minimum nine-month commitment to developing and maintaining a mentor relationship with a young person;
- Attend mentor orientation/training session before meeting mentee;
- Attend ongoing mentor training and support sessions as able;
- Meet with mentee on a weekly basis to establish the relationship and to support mentee in goals;
- Assist mentee in solving school-related and other problems that interfere with mentee’s success at school or elsewhere;
- Keep time logs and other information as requested by PAL Project Director.